Monday, May 28, 2007

Sunday Ride



We went out in the desert for a short ride yesterday. I got to ride my filly's mother, Pony. She's normally a sweet little paint mare and yesterday, while she was sweet, she was also in heat. She was constantly trying to get as close to Billy as she could take me so she could flirt and enjoy his masculine presence. I was constantly legging her away. Anyway the little ride was fun because we took the yearlings and my filly.



They just come along with us and get to kick up their heels and frolic about.



And eat all these neat desert plants that look like dried grass or weeds, and all kinds of shrubs.
These girls aren't even sweaty but the temp is around 95 and they've just been running along with each other. That's my little grulla, Bella, back there that looks like a donkey. Sonora is the paint and Cita is the sorrel. They both will be a year old next month.



The desert surprises us with so much color, even when we haven't seen a drop of rain since last September.

9 comments:

Donna said...

I love that you took all the babies and just let them romp around, like puppies!

Molly said...

Exactly! Like puppies. If we turn and get out of sight they come galloping to catch up. What I also like is that the adults don't bat an eye about the ruckus around them.
It takes a village...

Anonymous said...

Molly, that looks lovely. What beautiful country. Love your horses. When I lived up further north in the Pojoaque valley, close to the creek, I used to see people riding their mares with their babies tagging along. The creek usually didn't fill up its sandy bed, so you could go for miles down that and not have to worry about cars.

Kimberly

Rising Rainbow said...

Wow, that looks like great fun. You must be able to ride right off your place. Here everthing includes a trailer ride so it's not practical to take the young ones but it sure must be a great experience for all of them.

Molly said...

Thanks Kim. It's great to see you around.
And, MiKael it's normal for me now to see all these loose horses around, but back in California it was always at least a short trailer ride to get anywhere. These horses just don't know any different. I know the youngsters look forward to these outings with their people along. Some other days they just get turned out into the desert for the day. They always return at dinnertime, always stick together, and know what to eat to feel better.

Donna said...

Hi Molly, can you email me so I have your email so I can send you the trot movie?

Thanks - Donna

velvetcage@gmail.com

Tracey said...

I can't even imagine being able to just take off with loose horses like that!

You'd asked what I'm feeding Quiet Storm: Not much, is the answer =) She gets two flakes of orchard grass hay a day. During the winter she gets a third flake and occasionally a bit of grain, but she's a pretty easy keeper. Any more than that and she blimps out. Sunny needs a bit more to keep her weight up. She's no taller than QS, but has a denser bone and I suspect she may grow a bit more.

photogchic said...

What good times! Total freedom to let your horses play...that would be wonderful. Love that stripe down Bellas back:-)

Callie said...

Wow, What a blast. That looks like so much fun !